SMO is closely linked to Search Marketing Optimization and has emerged as the new wave which is related to online marketing. This term defines a perfect link-up between search engine optimization (SEO) and social media optimization. In this ever-growing internet age, it is impossible to ignore critical issues that come in a package with online visibility and thus, improve the quality of customer interaction. This is what SMO has been designed to offer.
Webmasters work on understanding and using social media effectively to transform it into the greatest asset for enhancing organic search results for a site. SMO is extremely helpful to ensure widespread reach to enhance the opportunities to link main business page with people present on the internet. This helps in connecting social media accounts in a consistent branded network o direct potential customer to the respective content online. SMO is used to employ as a tactical as well as multi-point process which can assist a business in designing successful SMO foundation, in order to advance the process and fetch more customers to the respective site.
While the importance of SMO cannot be denied, there are certain ways and means to increase its impact for any business.
- Clarity on business Objectives and Set Goals – It is important for every online webmaster to have pre-determined goals and expectations of desired outcome. The outcome can be anything ranging from sales, reputation, influence, charity, credibility to traffic/page views.
- Instills Smartness in People: Any content or article which can make the people feel and grow smarter has more likeability to be shared with friends online.
- Increases Linkability: In the attempt to optimize a site to work wonders on various social media platforms, enhancing the linkability of the content is quite important. There is a list of other ways like designing white papers and thought pieces, or aggregating content which exists transforming into a useful format.
- Tagged Content Travels Faster: Content can be tagged to reach more and more people online. Also one has to ensure that the tags include relevant ones along with some suggested notes appear automatically as soon as one hits go on the site
- Ensures easier access to content: SMO works on designing content which is easy to view with the help of short links such as video files, PDFs, and audio files. This also helps the content to travels faster while remaining absolutely traceable. This way, visitors can reach the site easily.
- Make use of permalinks in blogs for keywords and sharing: As a simple rule of blog posting, as soon as a blog is posted, permalinks automatically capture keywords in the form of URL titles which are looked up to by search engine crawlers. Putting such links at the bottom of the blog enable the readers to easily copy and share the content.
- SMO rewards valuable influencers: As a ‘to and fro policy’, one must always share content of those who are sharing your content. It is yet smarter way to raise visibility for the content posted online.
- Stay humble: Always make mentions of those who have helped in a webmaster to be a BlogStar. State those who have helped along the way to make the content popular.
- Share ideas and let others take them over: The notion of Social Media Optimization is to take up an idea and give others the leverage to get the same adopted by other communities.
- Be clear about the target audience: SMO can only be successful if a business knows who its target audiences are? There will always be a certain set of audience which can be easily appealed and will trust a brand. So it becomes crucial to assess what type of audiences are approaching and learning about their expectations to build their confidence.
- By dynamic and new: For online success, it is important that the content stays fresh. Since Social Media is changing on a steadfast pace, it is important to know new tools, products and challenges that are enveloped in the social sphere.
Social media optimization and marketing always demand and generate need for tools that can help any business in marketing, research and promotion or analytics. Some of the helpful tools are howsociable.com, knowem.com, Social Media for Firefox, semrush.com, Google Insights, Page Inlink Analyzer, majesticseo.com, socialmention.com, bit.ly, analytics.postrank.com etc.